Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Nursing woes and cherry pits


I gotta get me some help. I go see my midwife tomorrow, who is also a lactation consultant, and am hoping she’ll take one look at what’s going on and tap her magic wand to fix it. For the most part we’re doing ok; once I get this mighty sucker latched, all is well. But getting her latched… sheer torture. She’ll fool me by opening her mouth really wide (at my insistence, might I add) and drawing in, but will then spit the nipple almost all the way out and then viciously suck it back in… repeatedly. When I am at my breaking point and just about ready to throw something, she’ll settle down and nurse nice. Then she makes up for it with the sweet little milk-drunk face, sleepy giggles and heart breaking coos. Even her farts are cute.

But yeah, this business with the nipple: not so cute.

In other news, my toddler has discovered cherries. They had a big box of them at Costco for nothing and so we picked ‘em up. I had been splitting them for her and tasking out the pit, but Mark thought she ought to learn how to spit out the pit like the rest of us. So he gave her a whole one all the while telling her about the hard part inside she should spit out. She nodded her understanding as she solemnly worked her little mouth and then when it was clear she’d hit the pit, Mark held out his hand and told her to spit it out. Now, any of you who have seen my toddler eat know this: she loves food. She certainly doesn’t want to miss out on any of the experience. Can you guess what she did with the pit? A confused look down at Daddy’s hand followed by a big gulp; yep, she swallowed it. We’re taking bets over who will have the joy of seeing it in a diaper. Please, let it be me.