Wednesday, May 05, 2004


Lily is becoming so much more daring in her attempts to walk. Yesterday, she picked up her little sports bottle while standing next to the coffee table and decided it would be fun to stand, free of support, while drinking. She did really well and Vikki and I were just commenting on how impressed we were with her multi-tasking skills when DOWN she went, face first, into the cup. I scooped her up and held her close while she tried on a very healthy wail. When she tipped her head back to draw in air, I was horrified to discover blood all over her face. That tooth that had just been barely showing it's edge... yeah, you can see it really well now and this was the source off all that red. She had hit it against the straw and pushed back the gums. After some magic elixir (nursing) she was all better and ready to go attack the dog.

Vikki pointed out that this would not be the last time my shirt would be stained with Lil's blood... not something I want to dwell on, but yes, she is right. Lily will, undoubtedly, have many bumps, bruises, cuts, etc throughout her long life. It's part of growing up and will teach her how to use caution. While I have no intention of getting "used to" the sight of my daughters blood, I was pleased that this time she got hurt I didn't go into panic mode. I guess it gets easier to deal with... or at least, that's what I hope!