Saturday, September 03, 2005

Thankful


Dear M,
Just thinking of you in the aftermath of this mess down in your town. If you are able, just give me a quick shout to let me know you're OK. I'm cool with just one word from you if you don't have time to really write! I just want to know that you are safe. Also, let me know if you need anything.

Hoping you are well.
Elaine

His reply:

Hi Elaine!

Thank you so much for your concern and it's great to hear from an old friend.

I drove up to north of Memphis where my parents moved two years ago from New Orleans. I made it here after a 14 hour drive from New Orleans (normally takes 6-7).

Totally unreal… past few days have been a total blur. I am pretty sure my apartment didn't flood from images on the news. I am on the dry side of that levy break, but my apartment is very close to it. If my windows didn't blow out, or the big tree that is by my back door balcony didn't fall down into my apartment, I should be okay. But I am just pretty much reserved to the fact that I want to move now. It's just incredibly sad.

It's terrifying to even think about how to get to where my belongings are now. I don't know when I will be able to get back to my place actually. My parish is saying they will let people in on Monday to come in and get their belongings, but they have to leave after that.

My boyfriend came with me, and from what we have heard, his home in one of the outlying river parishes is intact with some wind damage, but he has running water. Power hasn't been restored, but the local power company is saying three days for restoration, since his area was spared the worst effect. He lives in Destrahan, which is roughly 20 miles from the chaos that is New Orleans. My apartment is about 5 miles from the
chaos.

Have already sent my portfolio resume to an ad agency in Houston. I think now is the time to maybe look at San Diego. I don't know where my job is going to be as we probably won't have power for a couple months (that’s good estimate) and my boss is good to me, but of course has his own worries. I just do not feel comfortable staying in a city that is going to be reeling from this for years. Half the city is just really gone.

Hate to sound doom and gloom, but that’s the situation, but I am aok, and enjoying the peace and quiet where my parents live up here. Sort of a country setting. Very peaceful.

Will let you know more as I know what is going to happen!

M