Monday, September 05, 2005

New tooth, a happy birthday and see you later

Lily has a new tooth! The first of her two-year molars made its appearance sometime in the last couple of days. We made this discovery tonight at dinner when Lily started scooping ice out of her water and chomping on it with delighted grins and groans. Mark asked her to open up and sure enough, there it be, peaking its little top out of her gums. Everyone talks of the horror that is the two-year molars, but if she takes all of them as well, we are simply the luckiest parents on the freaking planet! Whooohoo!

My birthday was splendid. Lily had given me my gift the day before in this stunning piece of art:

My Birthday gift from Lily

Easily my favorite gift EVER. Bet you didn’t know Lily had four hands. TOLD YOU SHE IS SPECIAL.

We didn’t do much on the actual anniversary of my birth and that was fine by me. First was breakfast with my dad and his wife, with the hope that my sister, brother-in-law and new baby Nichole would make an appearance. They didn’t make it but hell, they have a four-day-old baby so I didn’t actually expect that they would. After that we went back home and put the girls down for naps and spent some time together. Futzed around with the kids in the afternoon, followed by a trip to the park so Lily could get in her swinging fix, building up to the grand finale of dinner at my moms with her wacky neighbors in attendance (“FROG LEGS? Who eats frog legs? I’ve never heard of such a thing!!” And no, we were not eating frog legs, thank you very much).

The cake was divine (spice cake with maple frosting, both family recipes) and since we were eating out on the deck we managed not to set the house on fire when my mom insisted on putting the full complement of candles on the confection. Lily thought the bonfire on the cake was a wonderful thing and insisted on sitting on my lap while it burned threateningly near her curly little head.

Lily thought the fire was nice. Birthday cake! Are you trying to burn down the yard?

Luckily there was not a single burning toddler incident.

We are running off to Disneyland tomorrow after a brief visit with my Grandfather and so I will leave you with the latest batch of cute from the Anya files:

blowing bubbles
She's ready to start the meeting Thinking hard