Thursday, March 10, 2005

Turns out that what I thought was Braxton Hicks contractions was actually preterm labor. Very mild case brought on by dehydration. I had that stupid sore throat on Tuesday and so didn’t drink enough liquid, thus the baby slapping me down all night and telling me to get myself together.

Had a really good visit with our midwife this morning and she assured me that second pregnancy’s can be harder (especially when they are so close together) and it’s not at all surprising that I’m more sensitive this round. I got a lecture on liquids and exercise and being good to myself. We also talked about state disability pay, which I’m pretty certain I’ll be taking a couple of weeks before baby is due. I have to stop thinking of myself as weak for taking what I need. That, my friends, is the joy of growing up as the only girl on the block: any sign of weakness is a bad bad thing.

Well you know what I say to that?

Thupt!

4 comments:

Daph said...

I CAN FINALLY LEAVE YOU A COMMENT!!

All I have to say is: TAKE ALL THE LEAVE YOU CAN GET, which sadly, isn't enough, but still. You need your rest, girl, and you deserve all the time off the *stupid* state of CA will give you. Believe me when I say that you are NOT weak for taking this time... and the good news is that you'll get more time off with this baby post-partum than you probably did with Lily, because the law has changed (I found out about that right after I had Phoebe. It rocked!).

I had a problem w/dehydration when I was pregnant with Marissa. You know what sucks? Being pregnant and having to pee all the time anyway, and having to drink lots and lots of fluid, thereby ENSURING you will spend the rest of your pregnancy in the bathroom. Make sure you bring some reading material, LOL.

Take care of yourself, mama, and I hope you feel better soon!! :)

Daph said...

P.S. I did the new blog name.

Carrie said...

Hi Elaine! Nice to meet you. I saw your picture on Daph's blog.

I had so much more contractions with my second (jade). My problem was I always forgot to drink water. I just never really felt thirsty. Man they were STRONG towards the end too. Guess that's why she came out an hour after we got to the hospital!

kitten said...

I always thought the second , the third and the fourtrh were easier. Its just that after the baby arrives, you have so much more to deal with than you did when it was your first...usually with the first, you can sleep when they sleep..but if you have small people . you cant do that and you get less and less sleep.
and
you take all the time you need ...you are not weak....you are creating a life, and what is more friggin important that THAT???? Nothing!