Sunday, October 26, 2003

We awoke this morning to a warm red light in the bedroom, darker than it should be for 7am, and a warm wind blowing the curtains in the bathroom. When I looked out the east window, the sun hung low in the sky, a big red ball hanging in dark clouds. Went downstairs with Maya and Lily and stepped outside to a world covered in ash. As Maya did her business, I saw cars covered, the wind blowing sweeps of ash across the sidewalks, this strange dim, red world. This was the headline when I turned on the computer this morning: Brush fires burning across county.

Reminded me of when I was in High School and another fire swept across the county. I was standing in back of the store when I worked, under an awning while snowy ash fell from the sky. I put my hand out into it and caught a perfect leaf, white veins, careful ridges, all of ash. When I touched it with my index finger it disintegrated into nothing. It was awesome. Fire is a powerful thing.

I called Mark, who is working in Palm Springs the last four days. He says it's been so dry that everything is chapped. He and Nancy will check the news before heading home tonight so that they don't drive to close to the blaze. Told him how much we all need him... told him to come home safe.

The world is covered in ash and it is so beautiful and scary and amazing and... powerful.