Saturday, October 04, 2003

It's October, the time of the harvest and this week at Medicine Lodge, we talked about what we are harvesting this year and what we are setting aside. I realized that one of the things I needed to put aside is the idea that we're just looking for a place to live; were actually looking for a HOME (yes, in all caps). Here's what I wrote about it in ML:

I am creating a home for my family. A HOME. A place that is not transient, a place for us to settle. This is my Harvest. A Home. We have laid the foundation, we have built a frame. We are ready to call Home.

I see the garden, the goat pulling a weeds while the chickens peck at seeds. I see Lily running across the yard, sunlight in her hair and that brilliant smile across her perfect face.

I see Mark in his shop, glancing out at our daughter from time to time, bending down to her as she excitingly shows him a caterpillar, or leaf or exquisite blade of grass. I see great meals, cooked by my hand with our own vegetables and eggs our chickens have gifted us, stirring in the sweet goats milk.

I see incredible love as Mark and I create another child and birth him in the space where he was conceived.

I see showers with Lily crawling around at my feet, soaking in the warm soapy water that slides off my back, my hair, my breasts.

I see family dinners, full of laughter and debate, where our children eagerly tell us of their day while eating good whole dinners I have created for them.

I see Maya running across the grass, barking at the chickens as the fearlessly peck at her in annoyance.

I see Millie sitting in a window, methodically cleaning herself the way cats do, stopping to watch a hummingbird pull nectar from a nearby flower.

I see my amazing family
living in a HOME
a special place
with wonderful neighbors.
Strong trees.
Fruitful trees.
Overflowing garden.
Thriving family.
Growing children.
Happiness and peace.
a home
A Home
A HOME.