Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Love that

A couple of weeks ago Lily discovered a set of mugs and a selection of tea while hanging out at Grandma's house. She immediately started serving my mom. When my grandmother died, my mom found one of the tiny tea sets from her childhood and has been allowing Lily to play with it when she visits at her house. This freaks me out; I’m worried she’ll break it. I guess mom is willing to take that risk.

In any event, we found a little set for cheap at Ikea the other day. I think I’ve had about 100 cups of tea since then. Anya’s had tea, Mark’s had tea, even the dog has been served.

“Wan sum?” she asks with a tea and saucer in her hand, eyebrows going up for her sweet little question.
“I’d be delighted!” I reply, while she dances the tea pot around with a happy little tune issuing from her lips.
“Cream?”
I nod my agreement. My claim of “Ummmm! Chai, my favorite!” is met with ecstatic giggles and a rush to get me some more. She even asks me if I want Chai or peppermint now (the answer is Chai, it’s always Chai).

Later in the day she takes my face in her hands, stroking my cheeks softly and waiting until I'm looking her solidly in the eye.
“I miss you.” She whispers in a sincere tone. “I miss you, I miss you, I miss you, I miss you…” this goes on and on. I feel my eyes well up a bit and try to figure out what she means. And then I hear it. The tone and cadence of her speech is “I love you.” I laugh softly and circle my arms around her.
“I love you, too!”
“No Mommy. I miss you.”
“OK, babe. I miss you, too.”
“Tea?”
“You bet.”
“Chai?”
“Absolutely.”
And she’s off to fix me the best cup of Chai this mama will ever drink.

tea cup