Tuesday, August 23, 2005

My new love, SAM

My appointment with my midwife last week went really well and she gave me a whole bunch of tools to help with the PPD as well as giving me an acupuncture treatment. One of the things she suggested is a product called SAM-e.

SAM-e is believed to raise the levels of specific neurotransmitters, especially that of dopamine, which is important for mood regulation. Higher SAM-e levels in the brain are associated with successful improvement of mood. While not as powerful as antidepressants, a study published in the Journal of Psychiatric Research showed that SAM-e takes effect within one week, quicker than that of drug antidepressants, as well as St. John’s Wort. And unlike antidepressants, SAM-e does not lead to such typical side effects as weight gain, headaches, and sexual dysfunction.


One week? I was feeling more like myself after only 24 hours. Freaking brilliant, that is. And hey, no sexual dysfunction is always nice. Seriously though, this stuff didn’t make me feel high or crazy happy, just normal. And right now, normal is one heck of a step. I’ve also been able to channel all this emotional crap into proper grieving for my Grandmother. What I mean is that instead of feeling crazy and angry and out of control, I just feel loss. And loss is something I can deal with, you know? I’m still getting imbalanced sometimes, but now I have ways of recognizing and coping with these little outbursts. I take my homeopathics (Chamomilla and Ignatia Amara), or another dose of SAM-e, or press on one of the acupressure points she showed me, or realize I haven’t eaten in a while and get some food in my body, or I just leave the room and chill for a minute if I can.

End result? Mental health is a good thing.

OH, and check out how very cute we are and Christa’s kick ass wares at the new Planet Zebes website, designed by our very own Solistella.