Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Sin and Cheescake


We’ve been really busy lately getting ready for baby. My body is very happy with me for not sitting behind a desk anymore and while I had a couple of days of discomfort because I strained the muscles in my calves, I’m enjoying getting out and about on a regular basis. I don’t think this baby is coming anytime soon and am content to wait until s/he is ready.

Today Mark and I dropped Lil off at my moms and went to have a DATE! A friend had given us a gift certificate to The Cheesecake Factory and some movie passes. We like to see action flicks on the big screen. Something gets lost in those movies when you see them at home, even if you have a 32 inch screen (which isn’t huge in the scheme of things, but it’s the biggest TV I’ve even owned, so shut your pie hole you freaking videophiles). We decided to see Sin City after our perfectly delightful lunch.

I’m not a fan of frothy musicals or happy comedy type theatre. This is in large part to the time I spent as Managing Director of a small alternative theatre company called Sledgehammer Theatre. We got to do stylized, risky, in-your-face theatre and even if nobody came, we had a blast pushing the boundaries, creating new work and exploring what the physical actor could do with the right training. The artistic director understood the concept of committing to a vision and going all the way towards that picture and she never pulled punches. Sin City was like a Sledge show: it fully embraced the genre and didn’t bother to back off in the least. We had a blast and I only had to pee ONCE during the movie (once before and once after as well, but the key to success is how many times during the movie).

It was a good day to be me.